Thursday, August 9, 2018

Engines of Domination 2018 Director's Cut Released

We're thrilled to announce releasing a major remake of Mark Corske's Engines of Domination. That film was awarded "Best activist film of 2014" by Films For Action, translated into six languages, and has had over 77,700 views counting all known uploads and translations. The new 2018 Director's Cut, produced by Reckless Aesthetics, features a more serious style, improved clips, professional actors performing the Socratic dialogue, and a script revised for clarity and some changes of emphasis recorded in a new narration. You can view the film at https://youtu.be/_WZ40iYPNFQ, and download the HD 2 GB master file at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o0zKdq8R4RlMPYOJPd5Lb2iobqA0nndP.

After producing the original Engines, my collaborator Justin Jezewski and I began producing a documentary about the Dutch anarchist movement Provo, entitled Provo! The Great Anarchist Happening of Amsterdam. But by late 2016, we decided to put that project on hold to produce a new version of Engines. I felt that the fast-increasing authoritarianism worldwide and Trump's victory in the US elections warranted a more powerful and timely message than the original film could provide, and we'd long thought of ways to improve it. Now I believe we've created a vastly superior film that presents the essential ideas in my theory of political power far more clearly and memorably. I hope you agree!

Proud as I am of the film, however, I'm equally proud that it explicitly presents my ideas as a theory, not as some immortal truth discovered by a great philosopher. I've done nothing of the kind, and I'm nothing of the kind. I've merely found a novel and fruitful way of thinking about the most important problems confronting our world. Today, there are intense factional debates among anarchists who adhere to various ideologies, but I believe ideological thinking is a kind of internalized authoritarianism that betrays the spirit of anarchism and defeats its purpose. My foremost goal is to provoke thought, not to induce people to think as I do. Please think about my ideas, and proceed to think even better ideas of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment